Monday 3 March 2014

Gluten free buttermilk pancakes.

 photo IMG_4129_zps9683e98d.jpg  photo IMG_4126_zps16b3b4fb.jpg  photo IMG_4116_zps60adef6f.jpg
As it is Shrove Tuesday tomorrow, I thought I would share my go-to, gluten free pancake recipe. Now don't be put off by the whole 'gluten free' thing, these pancakes are delicious as they are (you can't even tell that they are gluten free!) and can be easily adapted to a gluten eating diet by changing the flour type.
This mixture works for me every time and is a lovely, quick treat especially for birthday breakfasts!

Ingredients
- 1 cup/120g plain flour, I'm using Doves Farm Plain White gluten free flour blend.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (if you're making gluten free pancakes, check that your baking powder is gluten free too).
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup/240ml buttermilk (alternatively, I tend to use 1 cup of semi skimmed milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, left for 5-10mins).
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (can be substituted for vanilla extract).
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
I tend to use cup measurements for this recipe as it makes it easier.

Firstly, I add my butter into my frying pan and set it on a low heat to melt. I also combine my milk and lemon juice at this time, skip this step if you're using buttermilk.

From there, I incorporate all of my dry ingredients together in a bowl and give it a quick whisk to mix them all together. Then, I add the wet ingredients one at a time (including the milk & lemon mixture and the melted butter), stirring between each addition.

You should be left with a nice, slightly bubbly batter. I go back to the same pan in which I melted the butter and turn the heat up to a medium temperature and carefully wipe out any excess butter with a bit of kitchen paper.

Once the pan is hot enough (you can test this by putting a small blob of batter into the pan and seeing how it cooks), go ahead and make your pancakes. As they cook you should see some hollow bubbles develop in the center of your pancake this means that you are ready to flip them over (depending on your hob, this can take anywhere from 30secs-2 mins). After they have been flipped, the pancakes should only take a short amount time to slightly brown on the other side and then they are ready to eat!

You can use any toppings you like, I used Nutella with strawberries and a dusting of icing sugar (confectioners sugar) & a small knob of butter with golden syrup.

If you make these, please leave me a comment or send me a photo on Instagram!  

Happy Pancake Day!



3 comments:

  1. You instantly know a post is gonna be worth the read when the title alone makes you hungry! :D

    I'm so rubbish at making pancakes, you make it sound so easy! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so yummyyyy! I am going to try this on weekend!

    xx,
    felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't look more delicious!

    http://girlbehindthecover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...